Thursday, July 19, 2012

Prince Rupert

It's been a very interesting and mellow day off in Prince Rupert... I arrived Tuesday late in the evening and tagged along with Ralph to a Bed and Breakfast (historic Pillsbury House). The lady of the house said she was all booked up, but I could 'camp out' on the floor in Ralph's room.
She wasn't going to let us sleep until she performed a couple Oldies but Goodies French songs by Famous French singer Eidth Piaf. At first it seemed a bit odd...but she was actually a very good performer and she loved to sing. ;)
We were treated to a three course breakfast, fruits, omelette in a clay dish then yummy crappie. The German couple had been taking holidays every year, seeing Iceland, South Africa and the SW United States. They were doing the NW Canada loop this trip... Nice people!
After breakfast, Ralph and I jumped on the bikes to do some site seeing of Prince Rupert. The Bald Eagles we're everywhere!!! They sure are amazing to watch fly by at 30 mph while riding the motorcycle!!!!
We finished off the day with Fish and chips for lunch and a HUGE pile of nachos and beer for dinner. I think I've put on a couple extra pounds this week!!!
We had to be up at 3am to be in line by 3:30 to catch the Alaska Ferry North. Just as we arrived at the ferry terminal, it started to rain and we ended up pushing the bikes forward in the rain one car length at a time until it was our turn to go thru US Customs.
Ralph was smart enough to reserve a cabin the whole way, so no camping on the HELO deck in the rain for me this trip!!! Thanks Ralph!!!!
I'm sitting in the cabin, looking outside the window at the same waters I had motor/sailed three years ago. I really hope to get back here some day on my boat.
Cheers! From the Alaska Marine Ferry M/V TAKU

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rick, I remember when Breakers was first built..great food there, and some of the best Calamari I have ever had. There use to be a restaurant right next door called Smiles, that was about as old as the community itself.
    It was great to catch up!

    Greg

    ReplyDelete